November 2013 Family Photo

November 2013 Family Photo

Thursday, July 01, 2010

The BIGGEST accomplishment since sleeping through the night...

Just walked into Build a Bear to put the broken paci inside a bear.
Caroline has picked out her bear and ready to get it stuffed.

Putting the paci aka "fry" into the bear's belly. I have to admit I almost shed a tear :)

Caroline is helping stuff her "fry bear"


Giving it a bath once we are all done.



This picture cracks me up, she acts like it weighs 20 pounds, but such a big girl carrying her bear out of the store.





Is FINALLY getting rid of the paci aka "fry". I have been putting this off for months because she has had her paci since birth and it did help her sleep so wonderfully. But, I came to a point where I felt since she was talking in sentences, that we needed to let the paci go. I never took it away at 12 months like the pediatrician told me because just two weeks later Corbin was born and I knew she would probably need it for extra security. So, Father's Day evening I decided to cut the very tip of her paci and give it to her at bedtime. She instantly sucked on it and said "boke" "Daddy fix it". I explained to her that Daddy could not fix it, but she could hold it while she slept. Please know I did have a spare in case she cried for hours and hours. So, we laid her down and there was lots of screaming for about two hours. David almost gave in and gave it back to her, but I kept telling him to just wait a little longer. She slept until her usual time in the morning. Then, I figured it would be a long week ahead. So, naptime came around on Monday and she kept saying "it boke", so I laid her down and no naps until Thursday. I was just as frustrated as Caroline, so was so tired. Nighttimes were going pretty good because she was so exhausted from not taking naps during the day. Finally, on Wednesday my sister and I took her to Build a Bear to put the broken paci inside a bear. I knew this could go two ways, great or horrible. It was super fun experience. Caroline put it in all by herself and told the paci "bye" and we were on our way. We named it "fry bear". She now calls it "fry bear" and hasn't asked for her paci since Friday last week. So, the first week was rough, but she now back taking her daily nap and sleeping great. Wooo HOOO, I feel so accomplished, but most importantly I am so proud of Caroline for overcoming this obstacle, what a huge deal!!!!!!!

3 comments:

HeltonTexas said...

congratulations Caroline!!!
(and Mommy and Daddy!!!)

wow, YOU DID IT!!!

Team Honnoll said...

What a sweet story! And a great idea, Mommy! I haven't wanted to take Benny's paci away either, it's such a wonderful thing! I still think it's cute that he calls it his "nigh-night", & I feel like once it's gone we won't have anything "baby" left! :( His pediatrician says it is perfectly fine, but I've been thinking of ways I might try to ease it out of his life. After we reach 2, I think I might use your idea!!

Sandra said...

Amy, sweet Caroline is such a big girl and I love the picture of her walking out of build a bear.

You did the right thing, Tyler had his until he was 4!!
And Jack Henry until 3 1/2.
I love that you thought of Build A Bear to take her and let her make a bear for paci!
Great Job Amy and David!!!